Bethany Vickery
901.356.3077
bvickery@comcast.net

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Painting wood furniture


I am working on "antiquing" this mirror/shelf that I bought a long time ago on clearance for $7. The regular price was $120! I forgot to take a before picture, but will post pics as soon as I'm done. I tried crackle paint for the first time (probably should have practiced first) and am now getting ready to sand it some more and add an antique wash. All of this done with items from around the house makes it even better!

...ok, so here is the finished project, not sure how durable this paint is, as some of it starting wiping off when I dusted with a wet rag! Probably because I painted on top of semi-gloss without a primer. But, I think it will do for now. Just glad to have it finally out of the garage! Have to talk John into hanging it later!

Steps:
1) Sanded down dark color pressboard
2) Applied about 10 coats of white paint!
3) Applied crackle medium
4) Painted over with green acrylic paint
5) Sanded some more
6) Applied antique wash made of brown and gold paint mixed with water
7) Sprayed with gloss coating
8) Ask John to hang it...

No comments:

Post a Comment